Apply for Housing: Current Students

All students apply for housing and make payment arrangements for the housing prepayment via CaneLink. A link to the "On-Campus Housing Portal" is available on the CaneLink homepage (not from the "Student Center"), and a $500 prepayment (payable by credit card) is required to complete the application.

Open All Tabs
  • Virtual Information Sessions

    In order to provide students with the information they need to successfully complete the application and room selection processes, Housing and Residential Life hosted a number of Zoom information sessions. You can watch a recording of any of the information sessions below. 

    Attending an information session is optional and has no impact on your housing application or room selection priority. Both students and family members alike are welcome to join.

    Date Time Session Recording 
    (Passcode: CanesLiveOn1!) 
    Thursday, February 4 5-6 p.m. EST Watch Here
    Monday, February 8 7-8 p.m. EST Watch Here
    Tuesday, February 9 12-1 p.m. EST Watch Here

  • Housing Application

    Current resident students must apply by the application deadline to be guaranteed on-campus housing for the upcoming academic year and to select a specific room/apartment and roommate(s). Students who miss this deadline can still apply for housing but will not participate in the room/apartment selection processes and will be assigned a room/apartment dependent upon availability after the selection process is complete.

    The date and time you submit your application has no impact on your room selection priority, which is outlined below.

    2021-2022 Application Period

    • Application available: Wednesday, February 10 at 9 a.m. EST
    • Application deadline: Wednesday, February 24 by 5 p.m. EST

    Meal Plan/Dining Dollars

    Students will select from one of the required meal plans during the housing application process, except those living in the University Village and Lakeside Village apartments where the meal plan is optional.

    Students living in Lakeside Village suites are required to purchase a minimum of a $250 dining dollar plan.

    Application Tutorial

Room/Apartment and Roommate Selection

Students who completed their application by the deadline listed above will receive an e-mail to their University e-mail address with a date and time to select their specific room/apartment (and roommates, if applicable). Applicants will continue to receive appointment times throughout the room selection process until they select a space. 

Applicants who do not select a room/apartment during this time will be assigned by the Department of Housing & Residential Life after the room selection process and be notified via their UM email address.

Although every student must apply for on-campus housing and identify any and all mutually confirmed roommates on their application, only one person from a roommate group (the student who receives the earliest selection time) needs to log-in during their assigned room selection timeframe to select a specific assignment and finalize their previously confirmed roommates.

View our On-Campus Housing Options 

Selection Priority

Priority room selection times are given to students who have lived on campus the longest and have mutually confirmed roommates on their applications; groups that fill a whole suite or apartment are granted priority over groups that only partially fill spaces. Prioritizing roommate groups has been updated from previous years so that complete roommate groups are no longer locked in throughout the entirety of the process.

Room/Apartment Selection Timeline

  • Lakeside Village: March 1-9
  • University Village: March 11-15
  • Eaton/Pearson/Mahoney: March 19-24

Room Selection Tutorial

Personal Property Insurance

Personal property insurance is strongly recommended and is available from GradGuard, a service of Next Generation Insurance Group. The University is not liable for loss or damage to property caused by fire, rain, windstorm, hurricane, theft or vandalism, or other act of God or casualty or any causes beyond the control of the University. Applicants are able to opt-in through the housing sign-up process or decline coverage should the student be covered by the family’s homeowner’s insurance or decides to choose a different company.

Renters insurance from GradGuard is designed specifically for college students and provides valuable protection if a student’s personal belongings are stolen or damaged by a covered peril, including laptop computers, smartphones, bicycles, game consoles, textbooks, clothing, and other items. Renters insurance also protects students financially for unintentional damage to the student’s residence or bodily injury to others for which the student is legally liable, within the residence premises.

Open All Tabs
  • Gender-Inclusive Housing

    Students who are interested in living in Gender-Inclusive Housing must schedule an appointment to speak with Housing and Residential Life staff before 5 p.m. on the date of the application deadline and must complete their housing application by the deadline.

    Students must contact to schedule the group’s appointment. Meetings should be scheduled for a day and time after each resident has completed their application and so that every member of the group can attend.

    On the housing application, students who are planning to live in Gender-Inclusive Housing must answer “Yes” when asked, “Are you interested in living in Gender-Inclusive Housing?” on the housing application. Additionally, those students do not need to identify roommates on the housing application. Roommate groups will be confirmed during the appointment with HRL staff.

    Gender-Inclusive Housing can only be guaranteed for groups of students who are able to fill all bed spaces in their desired suite/apartment.

  • Current Off-Campus Students

    Current off-campus students can apply for on-campus housing but are not eligible to participate in the room/apartment selection process. They will be assigned a room/apartment based on availability after the room selection process is completed.

  • Remote Learning Students

    Students who studied remotely in Fall 2020 and are living in on-campus housing for Spring 2021 will be treated as though they remained on campus and, therefore, their prioritization will not be impacted by their remote semester.  They will follow the application and room selection process like other current resident students.

    Students who are currently studying remotely who were admitted prior to Fall 2020 can apply to live on campus but will follow the procedures as outlined for current off-campus students (see above) and will be prioritized over off-campus students if they apply prior to the February 24 deadline.

    Students who have been enrolled in Remote Learning for Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 and were admitted beginning in Fall 2020 must complete the on-campus housing application by the February 24 deadline.  Although they will not participate in the Room Selection process for current resident students that follows the application period, they will be assured a double-occupancy room in Mahoney Residential College along with any preferred roommates who are also enrolled in Remote Learning so that they can have their introductory residential experience that was missed.

    Students who were admitted in and lived on campus during Fall 2020 and are now enrolled in Remote Learning for Spring 2021 must complete the on-campus housing application by the February 24 deadline.  These students will be allowed to participate in the Room Selection process for current resident students that follows the application period in order to continue their residential experience from the fall semester. 

  • Re-Admit/Leave of Absence/Inactive Status Students

    Students who are returning after time away from the University and have been re-admitted are eligible to apply for housing on-line using CaneLink. To activate access specifically to the housing application link, re-admitted students must be eligible to register for classes for the academic semester they are interested to begin in housing. Students re-admitted for fall entrance can apply for housing on a space available basis. A waiting list may be necessary. For spring semester housing, students should apply during the fall semester once their re-admittance is finalized and as soon as they know they will want/need on-campus housing.